I personally think that it's important not to take "friends" off of your friends list unless they are TRULY not a friend, as in you have had a personal falling out, and need to remove them from your life. Because whatever your reason otherwise, unfriending someone can be hurtful.
At the same time, it's impossible to use FB and not become overwhelmed by friends who
- are always posting their game activity
- aren't really friends, and don't really have any interaction with you.
- are from your past, and not relevant to your life now.
- are family that you don't REALLY want all over your computer life.
- are kids who are friends of your kids, that you want to keep track of, but at the same time don't need to know that you can cuss like a sailor on a bad day.
the HIDE button.
Both of these things serve different purposes, so I'll break them down and share how I apply each one to MY facebook life and why. How YOU choose to use these will depend on how/why you use facebook. I personally use facebook to connect with my friends and family, but also to connect with people on line as part of my business.
TO CREATE A LIST:
click on your ACCOUNT drop down menu at the top right of your facebook page. Then choose EDIT FRIENDS>CREATE A LIST.
I have created several lists. The most important ones are my "blocked" list, and my FRIENDS list. I have some of my friends sorted into a blocked list. That group consists of people I don't really want to know my personal daily stuff, kids that I'm friends with, and a few "friends" who aren't friends at all, but who don't need to be cut out of my friends list, and hurt because of it.
My other list is FRIENDS. Like REAL friends that I've met on line or know in person, that I want to keep up with, and don't have the time to sort through all the pages of status updates and STUFF there is everyday from my whopping 400+ "friends" that I have.
Once my lists have been created, there's a few things I do.
- I edit my privacy settings and make it so that my BLOCKED friends can't see much of anything on FB. My settings for this list are pretty high. People viewing my FB page who are on that list can't see anything except for my public profile, and they don't see any of my activity or photos. (they think I'm pretty boring on FB) lol To do this, I went to ACCOUNT>EDIT PRIVACY>CUSTOMIZE SETTINGS>for every option, I chose CUSTOM>whatever setting I wanted>HIDE FROM THESE PEOPLE and typed in the name of my blocked friends list.
- For the friends I WANT to keep up with, and have a personal experience with, I simply click on the FRIENDS link in the left sidebar, and choose that list's name. Then only the people in that list show in my updates area, and I can quickly see what they've been up to, and comment if I want to.
I use the hide button pretty sparingly. The HIDE button shows up on the right side of every status. If you click that button, you will essentially block ALL of that person's updates from your FB pages. You can undo this feature by scrolling to the bottom of an updates page, and clicking on the EDIT OPTIONS link at the bottom right.
Another feature that I love is the option when you see a friend's game updates, is to hide the updates of the GAME and not your friend.
These things take a little while to create and prepare, but once you do, it's really easy to get what YOU want to out of your online Facebook experience. In my opinion, it's much nicer to privately control what your "friends" see than to simply remove them from your friends list. On line friendship can be a tricky road. Think about how you'd feel even if the person who unfriended you wasn't a close friend, un friended you without warning. It stings. It's not nice, and there are lots of ways to keep the control without anyone being any wiser. At the same time, you have the right to get what YOU want out of your online life, and to not be overwhelmed by all that's out there. It's easy to lose any connection you might have been able to have when you see ten billion THINGS in your screen everyday. It's overwhelming, and truly impossible to keep up with it all. So decide what matters to you, and make that happen WITHOUT unfriending. :) Good luck, and happy listing!!